(Image source from: news18.com)
A missile attack was launched on the forces lead by the US in Iraq in the early hours of Wednesday following the burial of the Top Revolutionary Guard General Qassem Soleimani. The attack has been hours after the fear of war has been raised in the Middle East regarding the killing of an Iranian commander Qassem Soleimani.
It has been confirmed by the Revolutionary Guards of Iran that the rockets have been fired in retaliation for the attack on Qassem Soleimani which took place last week, according to the state TV.
The US military said on Sunday that more than a dozen ballistic missiles were fired from Tehran against at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US-led coalition personnel.
A statement was made by Jonathan Hoffman who is the spokesperson of Pentagon, “we are working on the initial battle damage assessments,” to which he added saying that the targeted bases were al-Asad air base in Anbar province and another in Erbil, Iraq. The tensions between Tehran and Washington have been raised after the rockets that were fired at the Ain al-Asad and Erbil early on Wednesday.
Several scenarios are being considered by Tehran in order to take revenge for the killing of Qassem Soleimani, said a senior Iranian official. Other senior figures have said that, the scale of killing would be matched by the Islamic Republic but the place and time would be chosen to respond.
The foreign ministry of Philippines has ordered a mandatory evacuation of Filipinos in Iraq. “The alert Level in the entire Iraq has been raised to Alert Level 4 calling for mandatory evacuation,” said spokesperson at the Department of Foreign affairs Eduardo Mendez.
US officials have said that Soleimani was killed because of attacks being planned by solid intelligence indicating forces under his command targeting the US. However no evidences were provided.
The US President Donald Trump has tweeted saying that he would make a statement soon.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Mohammad Javad Zarif Iranian Foreign Minister tweeted saying that Iran took what is considered to be proportionate measures is not seeking an escalation of war.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
By Shrithika Kushangi